Thursday, May 26, 2011

Storage Tip for Embossing Powder

I first learned to heat emboss many years ago and I loved how it made my stamped images stand out with that wonderful glossy shine. It's been a favorite technique ever since.

My process for using the embossing powder was to use a scratch sheet of paper to catch the excess powder and then to pour it back into the tiny little jar. No matter how careful I was I always wound up with embossing powder everywhere.

I few years ago I noticed that people online were using a lidded plastic container to hold the embossing powder. A spoon was used to pour the powder on the stamped image which was poured back into the container. I thought it was a brilliant idea and quickly tried it too.



This past Saturday I taught a stamping class with an emphasis on embossing. My samples used both clear and black embossing powder. I wanted to ensure that the spoons for the powders didn't get mixed up; no black in the clear powder. I had already been using a clear plastic spoon for the clear powder and a white one for the white powder. I didn't have a black spoon so I used a black Sharpie marker to color a white one.  It worked like a charm and my powders remained pristine in spite of being used by my 12 wonderful attendees.


 These are my samples for the class. I love seeing the creative twists that the attendees add to my originals.
(note: I added some white gel pen to dots to the circles above the flower on my finished sample.)





Here's everyone happily working on their cards. The table in the back was set up for embossing with several Versamark ink pads, the embossing powders and heat tools. My friend Sue was on hand to assist with the embossing. Love you Sue, you're the best!

Here's the plastic containers with their coordinating spoons and metal rimmed tags.



I'm having a great time with the delightful group of women who are taking my 4-session series, Rubberstamping 101.  So far we have covered, one layer stamping, designing with patterned paper, paper-piecing and heat embossing. I will begin the next series of classes, Rubberstamping 102, in July.



~ John 10:14, 27-28 ~
"I am the good shepherd; and I know My own sheep, and they know me,
My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish.
No one can snatch them away from me."

blessings,
nancy

11 comments:

  1. I've been having a great time taking your class. :D Thank you for being a wonderful teacher that allows us to let our creativity shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...I want to take your class too!! It looks and sounds like so much fun! Guess what? I use the same containers for my embossing powder! I know that's not unusual, but that photo looks just like my shelf did until I changed things this past week! This is starting to get weird Nancy! lol...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 12 students. . .each one so lucky to be taught by you! Bet they just love your classes! I'm so glad they are a success! Love the different colored spoons and your cards are beautiful, Nanc! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing these pictures, Nancy! Thanks for the great tip today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Nancy. Great idea for storage of your EP. I have my clear EP like that but all the rest of my EP's are in small pottles. And how I wish I lived near you to go to your classes. What fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your great tip on storing embossing powders...LOVE the matching spoon and the tag labels. I have been storing my frequently used embossing powders in old Stampin' Up! stamp containers (I unmounted all the stamps and gave away the wooden blocks). You've taken it to the next level. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome share!! Love seeing how you store things...and this is one fab example! The stamping class looks like FUN!! You are so creative and talented, Nancy!! Always a delight to visit here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy, thanks for the tips on storing your embossing powder; love your idea on how to store the powder. Looks like your students were having fun. Wish that I could of been there to take your class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea for storing different powders ;)
    Will just have to indulge in a few more takeaways to gather the containers. What a sacrifice to have to make, hehe!
    Your class looks fun, hugs, Ruth S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas on the ep storage. Beautiful cards and everyone looks like they are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea on the embossing powder storage! and it looked like a fun & busy class!
    BTW, i have a TON of black plastic spoons ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you!